Released in 2000, Where The Heart Is is supposed to take place in Sequoyah, Oklahoma. It was filmed right here in Central Texas and you can still find many of the filming locations in and around Austin.
Here Are The Filming Locations from Where The Heart Is
- The Walmart in the movie was located in Lockhart but it has since been renovated into a county judicial facility. The newer Walmart Supercenter is located not far from the original Walmart location.
- When Willy/ Billy arrives in “Nashville,” he’s actually on Sixth Street in Austin.
- Novalee and Forney get a Christmas tree in front of the Caldwell County Courthouse, which you can see in the background of some of the shots.
- The Majestic Hotel where Novalee goes to Forney after his sister dies is actually a building located on the square in Lockhart at 101 East San Antonio Street.
- The university at the end of the film was supposedly located on the east coast, but it was actually Baylor University in Waco.
Before his train accident, Billy and his gal pull up to El Nopalito Verde. There is an El Nopalito in New Braunfels but the facade of the restaurant doesn’t look the same.
Another location we haven’t been able to pinpoint and would like to know about is the church where Americus is left in the manger. If you have details on this scene, please message us on Instagram or Facebook.